Santos players will not be going on strike after clear the air talsk with manager Goolam Allie. Kick Off had earlier reported that players of the Premier Soccer League club were threatening strike action if the club did not increase their bonuses for their victory in the Absa Cup final against Ajax Cape Town last season.
The report claims Santos offered the players R8,000 each for the win, a paltry amount given that the club itself collected a cool R1.5million from the sponsors.
Team owner Goolam Allie has courted controversy before and has often been criticised for being seen to be withholding fair dues for players. However, he told Kick Off that the confusion had all been a misunderstanding.
"I have not denied anything, but I told the players that I'm going to pay them in three instalments and we agreed," he said on Wednesday. "I paid them their first part and they are going to get more money before the end of this week.
"You must remember we don't have a sponsor and previously I had to borrow money from the bank to pay their bonuses while playing in the Bob Save Super Bowl Cup because in that competition you only received your money after finishing the tournament.
"Players don't even know where the money is coming from, and I had to pay them because they deserved to get the money after playing quality football, unfortunately there was nobody who wrote about paying them in time.
"I'm not just talking for Santos but for every team in the PSL. If you did not know - our players are earning decent salaries and they know that. At this moment there no problem in the team, everyone is going to get his money, including Vincent Sokhela."
The players had claimed they would not train for the new season, which begins for them with an away clash against Dynamos on August 23.