Orlando Pirates insist that they have not been expelled from the Confederations Cup, despite the reports by numerous newspapers on Monday morning.
The Buccaneers' brand manager Zodwa Khoza says such reports was irresponsible and misleading.
However, the Confederation of African Football's (CAF) official website revealed that the former African champions had been eliminated for not honouring their fixture and could face a three-year ban as well, with opponents Sable de Batie progressing through to the next round.
"It's wrong that journalists do not conduct proper research before writing their stories," said Khoza on the official Orlando Pirates website.
"Those journalists are pathetic. Orlando Pirates have not been expelled. Sable de Batie go through, but there is no where it was decided that Pirates have been expelled from CAF competitions.
"It's wrong for journalists to misinform the public through stories that have not been properly researched," she added.
Pirates claim that they could not secure a commercial flight from Johannesburg to Garoua in time for Sunday's match, and felt a chartered flight would be too prohibitive.
But CAF hit back stating that the Castle Premiership giants had more than three weeks to plan their journey to Cameroon.
"By not traveling to Cameroon to honour the game Sable de Batie/Orlando Pirates as scheduled by CAF, Orlando Pirates is eliminated from the competition and Sable de Batie is qualified to the group stage," said CAF in a statement.
"CAF Organising Committee and CAF disciplinary board will deal with the other aspects of this game at the next meetings scheduled in September 2004."