South African striker Benny McCarthy is reported to be 'extremely disappointed' at failing to secure a move to English Premiership giants Everton.
This is not the first time the Cape Town-born player has missed out on a dream move to English Premiership, with proposed deals with Middlesborough, Manchester City and Aston Villa all having come to nothing in the past.
"This was my chance to go," said the FC Porto striker, who was the Portuguese league's leading goal scorer last season.
"The deal was done, everything had been agreed with Everton and then they pulled the plug. I don't know why."
McCarthy is surprised at the turn of events, saying that he was under the impression that the club would be happy to let him go after the loyal service he had given them.
"I don't understand why they did not let me go.
"I've played my heart out for Porto over the last year and they told me that if I could find another club I could move because they had Derlei back and were signing Luis Fabiano."
The player says that he is now prepared to stay at Porto and give 100%, although his immediate focus will now be on Sunday's World and African Cup qualifier against the DRC in Kinshasa on Sunday.