Ex-England striker backs 2010 WC
Former England striker George Eastham has assured fans that they will be safe at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
BBC Sports reports that a website was set up last year urging fans to stay away from the country during the tournament because of the crime risk.
However, Eastham, who has lived in Cape Town for the last 30 years, says supporters will have nothing to fear when they travel to South Africa in three years' time.
"I know people are worried about security and personal safety issues, but they shouldn't be," the former Arsenal striker told the Sunday Mirror.
He added: "But crime isn't something that is unique to South Africa. I can honestly say that, in the 30 years I've been out there, I have never witnessed a single crime.
"If people go out there looking for trouble then they will find it. Otherwise, they would have to be very unlucky indeed to fall victim to crime.
"Violence is not unique to South Africa. In every big city in the world there are places that are dangerous. You have as much chance of being a victim of crime in England as you have in South Africa.
"My message to football supporters is that they shouldn't be afraid to come over."
The 70-year-old Eastham also praised the stadium facilities on offer in SA, adding that the police and security services would make sure there was no trouble, and that it "would be a great World Cup to go to".
"I think South Africa will stage a great World Cup. Why not? It's a beautiful country and the fans who go out there are going to have an exceptional time.
"It was a brave decision by FIFA to give the World Cup to South Africa - but it was the right one.
"The fans who travel out there are going to be able to take in sights they won't get anywhere else in the world.
"They can go out on safari, go diving with sharks, take a trip up Table Mountain.
"They will be able to have much more fun than in drizzly old Manchester, that's for sure!"